Saturday, July 16, 2011

//Guest Blogger// Joanna Schultz

**Hi friends! I am on vacation until July 15th. Til then you're in the hands of some of my best friends. See ya in a week!** -JM

Hey Everyone! I'm Joanna. 

As Julianna mentioned in my bio, I love singing. I remember when I was a child my parents left the huge living room/dining room open for me to have as my very own music room. I would dance, sing, play musical instruments and perform the occasional musical in which I would make my parents pay admission and the necessary popcorn I had popped all on my own. 

When I sang, I felt joy. Genuine joy that would make my heart feel like bursting.

Let's now fast forward to today -- I am about to turn 30 in 5 days. Talk about a milestone. To be honest, it didn’t really get to me until July 6, 2011 when my husband turned 30. It got me thinking; 30 is a good amount of years! It’s 3 whole decades! Now, don’t get me wrong, I understand that it’s still young and to be honest I am very happy to get OUT of my 20’s. But still, it's kind of a reality check for me, so I decided to write out some years of my life and the main happenings- where and who I was at that time. You know, to reminisce. 

However, it turned out to be a bit daunting.

You see, before the age 26, I lived my own life without Jesus. I was a mess. I was lost. I was seriously depressed and I didn’t know why. Looking back at that time I saw that life happened and joy and happiness disappeared.

I couldn’t help but begin to feel that I wasted 25 years of my life. In tears from being bogged down with regret I got on my knees and cried to God. It was then that He reminded me of the verse He showed me earlier that day, “Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy” (Psalm 33:3).

He reminded me and reassured me that even during those years He always had a plan for me. There was never a time He wasn't guiding or directing my life. 


He had a new song for me to sing.

In that moment, I lifted my tear stained face and began to sing my new song. I picked myself up, having the revelation that a “new song” means more than an actual song. Through Jesus, He offers a new life, a new start, a new JoAnna.

And that is exactly who I am.

“I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD.”
~Psalm 40:1-3

What’s even more awesome is looking back at the years in the past DID include Jesus, He was always there, I just didn’t notice Him then. But now I do. My life is a new song. 

And I am singing it joyfully! Happy 30th Birthday to me! 

::Your turn:: 
When you look back on your life, does it make you frown or smile? 
What is it missing? 
What new song are you singing today?? 

Love,

^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.