Saturday, December 17, 2011

Christmas Traditions: Remembering the Old and Learning to Love the New

I am on family vacation for the holiday, but while I'm gone, you are in for a treat from some sweet friends. They're sharing their Christmas traditions with us! If you missed one, click here to catch up. Happy reading!

Hi! I'm Aislin (ash-leen) from scribbles by a.

When Julianna e-mailed me and asked if I'd like to scribble a guest post for her, I squealed at the opportunity! seriously, I did. first off, any excuse to curl up in my chair and write always makes me smile. Secondly, it's a post all about Christmas traditions and truth is, I love me some christmas all year round.
*
Growing up, Christmas time was always huge in my house.
When I was younger, my mom, my three younger brothers, and I would decorate the house one day in early December. Then, that evening, my dad would climb into the attic and bring down all the boxes of ornaments [plus our really old fake tree].

It was absolutely delightful.

For my brothers and I, Christmas meant my dad [a brilliant engineer. who worked. a lot.] was home more. It meant an amazing feast at my dad's parent's house on Christmas Eve. and setting up our video camera in 'secret' hiding spots, hoping to catch santa. Funny, our dad always knew just the perfect place to hide it.

Christmas meant Christmas morning! Perhaps the happiest day of the year in our house.

Christmas meant ski-dooing on the lake at my grandparent's cabin. It meant watching my mom skate circles around our little rink, in complete awe. and eating plate after plate of my grandma's amazing strawberry triffle. It meant drying the dishes while my mom washed. I loved every minute of that [and still do!]. It meant the annual "photo in front of the tree" and always opening our stockings first. 

Growing up, Christmas meant family time, love, and was the absolute best part of the long, cold winter. And even now, all growed up, it still means all that to me, and more.





This will be the third christmas since my parents split up.
People say that the first year's holidays are the hardest; that it's all uphill from there. I don't really agree. Each holiday is different - you remember different years, different traditions, different special little moments. Maybe you cry for a minute or two. Maybe you scream into your pillow until you're numb. I've done both.

Then, slowly but surely, you go on to make new traditions. Ones that are the same, but different. New memories you'll cherish just as much as the ones you grew up with. Traditions are a hundred special little moments that get you through the year. 

Looking forward to those is what makes christmas so bright.
Have yourself a merry little Christmas time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
About AislinI scribble about real life, my job as a full time nanny, everything I am grateful for, my struggle with faith & accepting my body. most importantly, I write about all the love in my life that makes me smile!

Where to find her:
^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.