Monday, January 2, 2012

The Art of Leaving a Comment



I wish I could reach into the machine that runs the world wide web and change the word "Comment" to "Discuss" or "Conversation". The word "Comment" says to me, Leave your two cents or spew your opinion. This is not a discussion. That's not what I want to happen here at JM. And I know I'm not the first inventor of this kind of thinking. There are plenty of bloggers, writers, and communities that have reformed "commenting" in their spaces. My favorite discussion starters are Hollywood Housewife, Vicky Beeching, and Mama Kat's Losin It


There are plenty of comment-leavers that have adapted to the whiny commenting. It trades off between griping, bickering and battering. None if it is healthy persay, but I guess there are certain communities that breed those kinds of opinions. 


Another form of commenting that's more recent is the promotional commenting. Like full on, shameless promotion. I think it's totally fine if someone leaves their "Recent Post" or even their link at the bottom of their name. In fact, most commenting systems leave a fill-in-the-blank for this. But I'm seeing more and more people commenting with ONLY their links and products. In my humble opinion, that's not the most respectful blogging etiquette. 


All that to say this, here, you are free to begin, continue, or join in conversations! I try to write in a way that feels like I'm sitting with you in a coffee shop. There's too much pressure when writing for the masses. So most of the discussions here may be less objective and more subjective in conversational form. 


How to Comment on Here:
-Click on the POST TITLE and it will isolate the post you want to discuss. 
-Scroll to the bottom of that post and there will be a box for you to write your question or conversation. 
-It's a little tricky, but I liked it better this way so that it didn't get too cluttered all up in here. 


Ok let's try it:
What do you think about commenting? 
-JM
^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.