Monday, November 14, 2011

The Rumor Weed

Rumors are rarely good. 


And have you noticed when someone tells you they heard a rumor, most of the time it's said in a suspicious, negative way? Like this: "So, I heard a rumoorrrr..." Slowing speech. Crooked eyebrows. Inquisitive facial contortions. It's almost as if they're trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but not really. Then, if you deny that rumor they're all surprised...like they believe that the information that passed through {4 different peoples} interpretations is way more believable than the information that came from the very lips of the person whom the rumor is about.


I wonder why is it easier for us to ask around rather than ask a direct question. I understand that maybe back in the day immediate information wasn't easy. Cells phones were non-existent and internet speed was dial-up. But now, we can get answers to any question in the entire world in 3.2 seconds. Everything is an email, a phone call, a text or twitter away. Literally.


I know I am guilty of this human plague we call rumors and gossip. And I confess that. There is nothing I want more security in than knowing we are protecting the integrity of friends. I've been on both sides of the mirror and I don't like either side. 


I was reading in Proverbs and came across these verses that totally convicted me in an urgent, transforming way.


Proverbs 16:28: "A perverse man stirs up dissension and a gossip separates close friends."


My heart breaks at the truth of this verse. Gossip separates. Everyone involved. Some people can argue that gossip actually glues relationships because it gives them something to talk about. Something to connect with. But inevitably, you are never immune from being the object of gossip. It separates.



Proverbs 18:7:  Fool’s mouth is his undoing, and his lips are a snare to his soul. 
The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man’s inmost parts.

This is true for both parties. The gossipee and the gossiper. So I told Ty today, while doing my hair in the bathroom, I wanted him to keep me accountable in my words and stories. I don't want to spread rumors [intentionally or unintentionally]. I don't want to break apart my friendships because of stupid choice words. If I hear something, I want to go straight to the source. No matter the awkward confrontation. 

If you hear something that sounds fishy, stop it right in its tracks. Or ask the person in question...not the person next to you. And I will do the same.

"Do not repeat anything you will not sign your name to."
~Author Unknown


Love,

PS. This is a funny childish reminder.
^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.