Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day Momma.

From what I hear, motherhood is one of the hardest jobs around.

From what I have seen, motherhood either fashions or destroys a woman.

And from what I know, motherhood holds the highest value both in this life and the next.

I once read this quote from a from the website of a favorite TV show of mine. The entire show was based on the relationship between a girl and her mother. A woman and her daughter. The Gilmore Girls. [Don't judge, you watched it too.]

It read: 
"My mother never gave me any idea that I couldn’t do whatever I wanted to do or be whomever I wanted to be. I don’t know if she realized that the person I most wanted to be was her." –Rory Gilmore

When I read this I thought, "That's me! And that's so my momma!"

Growing up, my momma instilled in my heart and mind, that I was going to be whomever God called me to be. Now as my mother began to see the gifts and desires that were being birthed inside of her little girl, she never pushed any of them because she knew God would flourish what He wanted and fade those He did not.

Let me give you two examples:

One: When I was in 6th grade, I decided I wanted to be a horse vaulter. I loved horses and was involved with them until my freshman year in HS. She was my number one fan. Leotard uniforms, shoes, lessons, crazy hair pieces, competitions [both near and far], my mother was there the whole way cheering me on as close to the ring as she could get. But that quickly faded out as I realized how much dedication it required and I didn't have it. 

Two: When I was 3, my momma says she walked passed my room and heard me singing. When she peeked in, I was laying on my back, feet on the wall, soul singing the songs from Sunday school [and maybe some originals]. She walked away and prayed, "Jesus, give my daughter a voice because she is going to sing whether she has one or not."

Since then, I can count on one hand the times my mother has not seen me sing. She never pressured me to be good. She just consistently reminded me that my voice was not from me, it was from the Lord.

Aside from her devotion to her children, my momma is something that I wish every mother to be. She is a prayer warrior. 

She prays for everything and everyone.
I have told this story so many times but I'll tell it again and again til I die because it powerfully impacted my life as her child. I have memories of me and my siblings falling asleep to the sound of my mother's prayers. Kneeling beside our beds she would pray for each of us. The next morning we would wake up to her again praying by our bedsides. Whether she ever went to bed at night, we'll never know. But she knew in her very core that her role as a godly mother was every bit dependent on the power and work of God.

She couldn't be to us who she needed to be without His provision. Time and time again she surrenders to God whom she believes, with confidence, will faithfully lead. Her marriage and all six of her children are living proofs of that.

Wise. Sweet. Encouraging. Discerning. Forgiving. Loving. And not to mention, a phenomenal cook. There are not enough adjectives to describe this woman.

She has actively lived a legacy of faith that will continue. And when I have my own ensemble of kidlets, I can only pray that that legacy will continue through me.

I love you Momma. You have never left my side. You have always been my #1 fan. You let me and sometimes made me make my own decisions; but you made sure to never let me fall off the deep end. You have comforted me and uplifted me. You make me laugh at the silly things you say and do. You love daddy. You love us. And most importantly, you love Jesus Christ with all your heart.

I love you, 

Your Julie.
^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.