Friday, August 19, 2011

The Help :: A Review from a Fake Feminist



Yes, I am a fake feminist.

Let me explain. 

I believe that women are powerful and intelligent beings. I believe that women have the utmost ability to do any job men can do. I believe women are sometimes even better than men at their jobs. I believe a women's role as wife, mother, and career woman will be debated through the rest of time.  

Now, all that being said, I do not believe just because we all can do something means we all should do it. [<This point is a whole post in and of itself, but we'll do that later.] 

I'm not an advocate to the "I'm a woman hear me roar" movement, but I am one to encourage women and girls to be brave enough to step out and make a mark on the world. Sweetly. Intelligently. And because you want to, not because you feel you have to, to make a point 
People are equal and I was in tears at the way The Help portrayed this fact. 
The film encompassed both the women's rights movement as well as the civil rights movement in a relational, heart tugging, realistic, emotional, humorous, and factual way.  

Here's a mini-synopsis:
Three very different, extraordinary women in Mississippi during the 1960s,  who build an unlikely friendship around a secret writing project that breaks societal rules and puts them all at risk. From their improbable alliance a remarkable sisterhood emerges, instilling all of them with the courage to transcend the lines that define them, and the realization that sometimes those lines are made to be crossed —even if it means bringing everyone in town face-to-face with the changing times.

My reviews:
CASTUh-maz-ing! Each actress and actor was perfectly placed. Personalities jumped through the screen and each character  made you feel like you were personally invested in their well-being [or demise, depending on the character]. My faves: Minny Jackson & Celia Foote

STORYLINE: I didn't read the book [!] so I'm not 100% sure how true it was to its originality, but even without reading, the movie's story kept me engaged, excited on the thrilling parts, laughing on the hilarious parts, and weeping on the heart breaking. I liked especially that the writers didn't shy away from the reality of the hardship for the colored slaves. And of course, the humor of the poo pie. [You'll just have to watch it.]

CINEMATOGRAPHY: I loved looking at this movie. Not just watching it for the content, but actually looking at the colors and camera shots. It made me feel good :) That's it. 

Overall, this movie gets a 5 Star in my book. Wholesome and clean, The Help is a pretty darn good $11 investment. 

Did you see it? What'd you think? If not, go see it. Not tonight though, it's too late.

Happy Almost-Weekend!

Love,

^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.