Tuesday, August 9, 2011

7 Nuggets I Got From My First Blog Conference

*This will be the last post on the conference, I promise!


Since I've been home, the question from family and friends has been, So how was the conference? What'd you learn? And my reply is, I learned a lot about what I don't want to be as a blogger/writer. 


I think this is mostly because as my first conference, I observed more than interacted [which admittedly isn't ideal].


It was my first enormous conference with no partner in crime and I'm an introvert. So I sat, brainstormed, wrote, brainstormed, ate, brainstormed, read, brainstormed, listened and brainstormed. There was a world load of such great content and information that I had to implement most of it right away, leaving me a really good excuse for not striking up conversations. I was nervous. Intimidated. Scared of what others might think of my little baby blog. Maybe next year I'll do better.


But in the meantime I have my learning experience summed up into 7 bullets to hold me over for the next 12 months.


#7 The world of blogging is way more vast than I'd known
        There were 3700 people in attendance [mostly women] and most of the big name blogger's I had never heard before. But looked them up when I got home of course. 


#6 Conference vendors will do anything to get you to talk to them
        From circus acts to ice cream dipping to Guitar Hero to sweet and savory food samples. These guys are pros. 

#5 I don't think I'll ever be a Mommy Blogger
        Nothing against Mommy bloggers [definition: a mom who blogs all about her kids], but two things that were glaringly evident this weekend was that only rarely do people wanna read stories for the sake of the story. They read stories to relate. And the second, is that everything put online is permanent. I will definitely share about my kids, but I may not make that my niche. Which segways to the next bullet...

#4 It's pronounced "Nee-ch", not "Ni-tch"
        I always said "nitch" until this weekend everyone was saying this weird word I'd never heard before. For a little while I thought they were talking about breakfast foods...[get it?]. Then someone read the word aloud and the light bulb blinged. So that's how you say it. 

#3 Blogging is more than vomiting your latest obsession
        It is providing good quality content that people can relate to, take away from, utilize in their own lives, or be inspired by. Remember our readers. Remember our readers. 

#2 Blog design will make or break your blog
        Tru dat. A blog can have the most exquisitely worded quality content, but if the background is blinking stars and hearts, the font is white, and there are little elves jumping across the page, no one cares about the content because they can't focus. Keep it inviting, warm, and clean. 

#1 Passionate, good quality content will grow your readership 
        This could not have been stressed enough. In fact, the crazy stress of it caused me to go back and read through some of my posts and evaluate whether they were worth posting or not. 


Disclaimer:: These don't just apply to blogging, they can be heeded in all sorts of writing situations and scenarios. Letters, books, blogs, lesson plans, work documents, etc. 

I didn't make any new instant friends, but I did meet a lot of beautiful and creative women. I may never see them again in my life but I am more inspired because of them. 


Happy Tuesday! Smell some flowers today. 


Love,

^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.