Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Morning Pages.

I recently discovered Julia Cameron's website. She's my new writing heroine. I did a couple reviews on her book, The Right to Write. There are some super good resources on her site that she uses for writing and creativity and has made available to the public. 

 What I love most about her is that she is not just a big shot teacher/writer. She teaches what she does herself. "Herself an award-winning poet, playwright, and filmmaker, she has written thirty books, ranging from her widely-praised, hard-hitting crime novel The Dark Room to her volumes of children's poems and prayers." 

One of the tools she requires of all her students is the Morning Pages exercise.  "Morning Pages are three pages of longhand, stream of consciousness writing, done first thing in the morning. There is no wrong way to do Morning Pages-- they are not high art. They are about anything and everything that crosses your mind-- and they are for your eyes only." 

So I will be starting this tomorrow morning. I have my over-sized journal and my blue pen [i love writing in blue] neatly stacked on my new free desk [thanks jo!] and the coffee maker set on a timer. 

Try it with me! And let me know how it goes. 

Happy Writing.

Love, JM

Here's a video of her talking about this exercise...be warned, its a little boring but the content is good :)

No comments:

^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.