Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hello, From Los Angeles



The last time I wrote, I was sitting in my one bedroom, suburban apartment with the windows open so I could hear the birds chirping. My dishwasher was winding down and I had a side list going of all the grocery store items that kept popping in my head. 

Now, I am sitting in my one bedroom, urban apartment with the windows open but sounds are less birdie and more conversations and car horns. I don't have a dishwasher and I don't keep a grocery list because Whole Foods is a stones throw away. 


There are things I miss about my little hometown, some major differences from the big city life. Like:
  • People in LA walk around in their gym attire, all day long, as if their life is one giant workout.
  • The movies lie. People don't wear cowboy boots here all the time. Just me. Fantastic.
  • TV lies. The chinese theatre, where all the movie stars imprint their hands, isn't glamorous at all. It's a nasty place where your booty gets grabbed and college students are trying to make their over-priced rent.
  • In Temecula, my apartment occasionally got a whiff of a clean cut lawn or a smoldering fire. In LA, my apartment gets whiffs of car smog or the mary jane. (I wish I was kidding. Don't tell my mom.)
  • You only see your neighbors on the weekends, and even that has been an occasional "walking" conversation about where to eat and shop. 
  • You can walk everywhere. I think we've driven maybe twice this week.
  • If you smile walking down the street, you're weird and probably a murderer. 
  • Sidewalk arrests are normal. Don't worry. 
  • The food selection is to-die-for. For example we ate at Hole in the Wall the other night. That was the name of the place. And it was one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. 
  • Beach people are different from the city people. Don't mix them up.
  • I was born to live in this city.  
We are enjoying every moment of this move. 

I have met some amazing and interesting people, and though it seems like everyone is skeptical of everyone here in LA, I think there's some good friendships in there somewhere. 

I really think this city will shape me, for the better. I think it is going to affect (in a good way) every part of my life: my marriage, my (future) children, my worship leading, my philosophy, my theology, and the way I see the world. 

It's only been 2 weeks and I have been both stunned and surprised at my new life. It's not all glam and glitter, that ended the night I ugly-cried over not finding and apartment, but it's good. It's very, very good. 

Thanks for sticking with me on this journey and I promise not every post will be consumed with LA-isms. #maybe 



- - - - -
**PS. NAKED: The Truth about Marriage series is coming up, have you asked your anonymous question yet?! Do it! 
^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.