Thursday, February 9, 2012

Expectations - Communication = Frustration

Expectations without communication leads to frustration.
I heard this phrase from a woman's event I sang at around Christmas time. When I first heard the line, I thought it was clever. It grabbed my attention and resonated with me. Not that at that moment I was even frustrated, but it seemed like a good nugget for the future. 

Well that little nugget got put to use this week. 

My boss very understandingly gave me two weeks off from work to get my head together after the girl's conference and some personal battles. I was more than looking forward to doing a whole lot of sleeping, planning, regrouping, and cleaning. I wanted time to reset priorities and calendar my life out. 

For some reason, I thought this would help eliminate the guessing game of what each week held. In my mind, I thought it would go a little something like this:

The Frantic Me: When am I going to clean the house? 
The Organized Me: Oh! According to your new system, that happens on Wednesdays! 
The Indecisive Me: Should I read or write tonight? 
The Organized Me: Well my calendar is reminding me I have a deadline for this in two weeks so I should write! 

Good plan right? Yup. Good plan. However, I'm on my last weekend off and the only thing I've accomplished is cleaning the apartment. Not a huge feat. We only have one bedroom :) 

This isn't anyone's fault except mine. I never communicated. 
I thought and strategized everything in my own head and that's as far as it went. My frustrations have died down and that satisfied feeling of "learning" has begun to set it. You know that feeling? Like when you are on the other side of a test and think to yourself, "Man, it feels so good to have known all those answers!" Ok, maybe a stretch but you know what I'm trying to say

I've learned, just a little bit more, how important communication is to human relationships. 

So I'm taking my last four days and setting my two week goals into hyperdrive. And now you all know! ;)

Are you a communicator? Any tips and tricks that keep you on track? 
^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.