Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Something to be said for Silence

I woke up this morning with high hopes of writing a full chapter in my book. Since I am @ Jr. High camp, our morning was fairly full with breakfast, chapel, and game time. But this afternoon seemed promising. After lunch I grabbed my computer and a book and sat on our comfy queen bed and literally stared at this screen for an hour. 

 Then, I decided that I should maybe read to clear my mind and get the wheels rolling again by someone else's work of art. I'm halfway through Elisabeth Elliot's book, A Chance to Die. Amazingly intriguing book, but I couldn't get past the page I started on!


So I conceded and just sat there in silence. Pondering anything and everything that came to my mind. Kind of a crazy experience. 


You know when you ask a guy [any and all] what they are thinking and they reply, "...nothing." 


Well, I was hoping that I could see what that was like, but I don't think girls have the capacity to just think about nothing. I thought about my book, my family, how I have to move when I get home from camp, how my dog is doing, did she run away? Then the running away thought reminded me of one time when she did run away and we found her flailing in a pile of horse manure. Then, horse manure reminded me of how much I love riding horses and I should go again soon. 


You get my drift. 


So yesterday I prayed, God please let my mind be silent or fill it with your Word. And for the next 2 hours, it was. It was either completely blank or pondering the things of the Lord. Later it got me thinking about how we we go, go, go, go, and we never stop, it is no wonder that our emotions and minds and bodies get so jumbled. It is no wonder that I get wound up so tight. It is no wonder that I am worn out so easily. I never make myself rest.


So rest my friends. Rest. 


~JM





No comments:

^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.