Wednesday, August 20, 2014

How Growth is Slow, Boring, and Beautiful



Faster is not better. But it is more satisfying. 

We want to lose the weight faster. We want to get to work via the fastest route. We want to find the quickest way to make the best cup of coffee. We want our kids to be done with the diaper stage asap. We want our spouses to grow up yesterday, and dinner to take a maximum of 45 seconds. We want longer hair, thicker eyelashes, more data and for goodness sake can someone please get my Netflix to stop buffering. 

Are you with me on these? 

But what I'm realizing more and more is things that take time turn out the most beautiful. (Tweet it!

My window herbs are the most beautiful plant in my house. Probably because they're the only real ones. Their green is just the right level of bright and velvety. Their fragrance wafts when I walk by. And I prefer their flavor over my $3 jarred spices anyway. 

But these little guys did't just sprout as full grown plants. They started out as seedlings. Tiny, tiny seedlings. Tiny seedlings that grew. 

And grew.

And grew. 

Slowly. Beautifully. 

So why do we rush? If we truly want the best for ourselves and the people we love around us, why do we insist on expediting the finely tuned process we call time?

This may just be for me, but I'm learning time is on my side. It's no secret I'm an everything-now kind of girl. 

So I choose to let the monotonous and mundane change me. (Click it to tweet it!) Whatever that looks like. As the fire fortifies and brightens gold, I choose to be set a blaze, even if it's in the low embers of time. 

I choose to push through the dirt of circumstance and season, slowly, just to see the light of day as greener, bolder, and more fragrant to those around me. 

The seed which fell among the thorns, these are the ones who have heard, and as they go on their way they are choked with worries and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to maturity. "But the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold it fast, and bear fruit with perseverance. LUKE 8:14-15

^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.