Thursday, February 28, 2013

Choosing A Type of Motherhood




A while ago, a friend of mine and i were talking about motherhood and how different it is once you're in the thick of it. She said, "Before I became a mom, I got to see my friends do it first. Then when it was my turn, I got to pick and choose what kind of mom I wanted to be."

Interesting. 

I've always admired various parents in my life, both old and young. I want to have as much discernment and wisdom and grace as my own mom and dad. I want to be creative and attentive like my auntie Missy. I want to be humorous and giggly with my girls like Kathy and Glen. I want to be sweet yet stern like Jen and Ryan.

I want my children to see and be a part of what Ty and I are passionate about, like Emily and Trav. I want to be okay with not having all the answers, like Colleen and Steve. I want to teach my sons to see my daughters as princesses like Tamara and Charlie.

This list could go on and on and on...

I know when the rubber meets the road, my philosophies and ideologies will quickly shift and sway, desperate to settle on a course. But there is no hard and fast course. Just grace, truth, and lots of chocolate.

What ideas about motherhood did/do you have before babies?
How have they shifted since? 
Let's talk.

**The wonderful thing about being a new momma is the wisdom pool of experienced mothers around you. Prior to computer and the world wide web, women still had each others backs. From baby showers and hospital visits, to midwives and doulas, women have always supported women in the area of motherhood. 

Thursdays here on The Girl that Sings are specifically for that. I need you and your passionate opinions and experiences. Just remember to be respectful. Bring on the comment conversations.
^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.