Monday, May 28, 2012

7 Days of Disciplined Writing



Some say that the world is in a "hipster phase of writing," where being a writer is cool, fresh, and everybody loves doing it. But I say that people are finally feeling free to tell their stories. It's nothing new that everyone writes. We're just hearing more about it because of the amazing internet tools. 


But there is a lot of work that goes into writing that is easily illusional by witty blogs and quick minutes of fame on highly trafficked content. From what I am learning and what is unanimously spoken and written about from actual professional authors, is that writing takes work. 


A lot of work. 


I am not a professional writer. I am not a seasoned writer. I am not a paid writer. Yet. But I am searching for new ways to stay sane in this machine of a creative process. I know I need more discipline, that is no secret, and I know I need more inspiration.


So I am making myself write some beefy word counts for 7 days this week. Kind of like a brain and hand boot camp. Yea, something like that.


Wanna play? 

  • Each morning (12:00 AM, Monday-Monday) a new prompt will be posted
  • Set a 1 hour timer
  • Choose the poison: laptop, journal, notebook, iPad, etc
  • Write, without getting up, and a minimum of 500 words
  • Close the book and walk away (*If I want to edit my piece, I will do so later in the day)

FYI: Topics will be random. 
Today's Prompt:
Describe your earliest memory. 


Go. Happy writing days! 
(PS. If you're playing, let me know!)
^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.