Friday, August 30, 2013

Symphony's Birth Story | Part 2

^^^ My sister's face is priceless. The first few moments of seeing Sym's head.

No one could have prepared me for the ocean of emotions I felt that day. I'd dreamed of these moments for so long. What it would feel like to experience labor, the pushing, and its aftermath. That moment when I would push for the last time before my girl's wrinkled little body would slip through in perfection and I'd be the first thing she saw. Heard. Felt.

So I pushed. And pushed. And pushed with that image in mind.

I started pushing at midnight. My nurse was such a sweetie and had so much hope that I would be just fine. She guided each push while Ty cheered me on like a football coach in the last seconds of a victorious fourth quarter. 

Do you see her head?! The nurse exclaimed. 

She was coming. 

They gave me a mirror at one point so I could see her dark hair poking through and that fueled me to push all the more. Just a little bit more. A couple more. 

Here she comes! They said. A couple more big ones! 

Then I fell asleep. The time between contractions wasn't much but my eyes were barely open and my head felt like it was swirling in Alice's wonderland porthole. At the three hour mark they let me rest for 15 minutes, while my mom put a cool washcloth on my swelling red face and Ty mysteriously changed my socks. I woke up to his hand brushing my cheeks and hair. Babe, there's a chance she's not going to come out. We need to consider the possibility of a C-Section

Wait, what? No, I can do it. I can see her. Let me try one more time. 

Because her heart rate was steady as a rock, the doctors let me go until something happened. I wanted it that way.

So I pushed again. 

Don't worry baby girl, I thought, I'm going to get you out. I can't wait to see you. Hold you. Love you and kiss the giant nose you inherited from your Daddy. I can't wait to show you around this big beautiful world our God designed. It's just beautiful. Don't worry, I'm going to get you out. 

5AM came, marking hour five of pushing, and between the swelling and popping blood vessels, baby Mo hadn't moved any closer to crowning. 

The OB on call came in and said she believed my pelvic bone wasn't wiggling open any further and the baby's head was stuck up against it. She gave me the standard options of ways they could attempt to manipulate her out but Ty and I both knew if those didn't work, she'd be doubly banged up and a C-Section would happen anyways. 

I'll never forget the look in his eyes; the tears, the fear and worry when he said Baby, it's okay, you pushed so hard. I'm so proud of you. 

He leaned in to give me a kiss and I grabbed his neck with desperation. 

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I knew it wasn't my fault, these things happen and all ten people in that room knew I tried my absolute hardest. But it was all I could think of to say. 

Then, in what felt like a flash, I was wheeled away and prepped for some major abdominal surgery. 

This was it. And the irony of it all? This is exactly how I was born.


...To be continued. // This is Part 2 of Symphony Mae's Birth Story. Missed Part 1? Click the link.

^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.