Ok, so I was trying to wait until we had our engagement pictures to write this blog, but I just can’t! I’m engaged! The Lord has blessed me with a man who loves Him above all and me second. He is a hopeless romantic and the proposal day (yes it was a whole day) is definitely one for the history books. Here’s how it went:
The whole car ride I swore we were going to the zoo. Of course he would not give me any hints but he had that crooked sneaky smirk, that confirmed my hunch. When we arrived at our location I was sorely mistaken, but it was a good mistaken because we were going KAYAKING! I love kayaking and had always wanted him to go with me, but knew he never would because he hates the ocean. Boy was I surprised.
We turned onto the street, hand in hand, with Chris Tomlin’s version of “All the Way My Savior Leads Me” playing in the background, and the tears started coming. At that moment I knew what was happening. When we got to the top of the hill there laid a blanket, candles, and his guitar. (My brother had gone earlier to set it all up.) Then it was time. For each place we had gone that day, he gave me an envelope with what they represented in our relationship.
2. The Bookstore- (Ephesians 5:26) My utmost priority will always be guarding your integrity and purity just as Christ did for the church, we will always have a devotional life.
3. The Mall- (Ephesians 5:27) I will work hard to make sure you always have what you need.
4. The Nail Salon- (Ephesians 5:28) I will always cherish your body and am so thankful for how beautiful you are.
5. The Picnic Lunch- (Ephesians 5:29) I will work hard to always make sure you have food to eat!!
6. The Kayaking- (Ephesians 5:31) We will grow together as one as we face our joys, challenges, and our FEARS!
7. The Winery- (Ephesians 5:32) As we are together, I will work to make sure that our relationship always has the fragrance of Christ.
8. The Song.
I looked up, tears streaming from my eyes, and he sang me a song that he had written for this moment, in which the last line said, “Will you be my wife?” AH! Then he pulled the ring from the back of his guitar, got down on one knee, said an amazing speech, and I said YES! Then…to top it all off, he informed me that the birthday party we were going to was not a birthday party…it was an engagement party! And everyone was in on it
So the perfect day turned into the perfect night as we celebrated with friends and family, and even my sister joined us via cell phone and video chat. Praise the Lord for technology. At one point all 60 of us gathered in our upstairs living room for what felt like a great big family meeting. My dad gave a devotional and welcomed Ty to the family and one of our pastors prayed over us. It is the most peaceful feeling to have the people you love surround you and support this new phase of your life. Because there is comfort knowing that when things get tough, unexpected trials come or troubles barge in, or when exciting things happen and memories are made, our whole family will be there…no matter what.
So thank you dear family.
Thank you dear friends.
And thank you dear Tyson, the love of my life.