Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Psalm 23:1-3 - (Day Seventeen)



Psalm 23 was one of those bible verses everyone memorized at Vacation Bible School. I can hear it, as if it was yesterday. 100 kids, all wearing some bright colored t-shirt, standing and reciting, the Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want...

I am forever grateful for that basis of Biblical knowledge. 

But over time, the foundation gets jaded. Know what I mean? 

Over time, I have forgotten the preciousness of those words. The Lord God Almighty, He is my Shepherd. Everything He does, as a Shepherd, is thoughtful, purposeful, intentional and beneficial to my well-being. 

"The Lord is my Shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He refreshes my soul." (Psalm 23:1-3a)

As a newly wed, I remember being so relieved that sometimes, God, as a good shepherd, makes us lie down in green pastures. Sometimes, when I'm running around like a crazy person, He takes that rod, swats my booty and firmly causes me to stop. 

You need rest, He says. There is a longer journey ahead. Drink, be refreshed and sleep. 

It's happened so often in my adult life, that I am learning to recognize the signals. 

I know that when my physical body is weak, for no obvious sickness or reason, it's swat and lay #1. 

I know that when my mind starts running like a rat race, completely out of control, that's swat and lay #2.

And I know when I am burnt out, physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally, to the point where talking to anyone is too much effort, I've missed or ignored the first 2 swats and this one is a little firmer. Swat and lay #3. 

I lack nothing with my God, because it is He that refreshes my soul by His firm and gentle shepherding. 

- - - - -
*Oh hello! New here? Til the end of October, I'm writing verses that have been pivotal in my life. Everyone has those they cling to in seasons of life. Do you? Share it with us on Facebook!
^^^Opinions, two-cents, questions and ramblings are welcome. And go above. Go ahead. Try it.

Reader Faves.